ATTENTION VIETNAM SCREAMING EAGLE AND 1ST AIR CAV VIETNAM VETERANS:
The legacy of the soldiers who served with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Mobile) and the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam was the foundation of what evolved into the air assault techniques and tactics of today. The soldiers of the current 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) earnestly desire to recognize the heritage of those soldiers who proved the concept of air mobility/air assault operations by awarding those who meet certain strict criteria, Honorary Air Assault Wings during the Annual Week of the Eagles Celebration from June 21st to 25th. There is a ceremony to award the Honorary Air Assault Badges to Veterans scheduled for June 24th from 12-3 PM, at the Sabalauski Air Assault School. RSVP Required for attendance to both have the certificates prepared and to ensure enough food for the catered BBQ. Those who will be attending the Ceremony at the Air Assault School on 24 June must RSVP to attend at this link https://fortcampbell.com/events/
This is an Honorarium Award. Veterans who have provided the required criteria and who have been certified by the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) will be officially authorized to purchase and wear (or display) the Air Assault Badge. The Air Assault Badge may then be worn on civilian caps/clothing but is not authorized for wear on a uniform. It is also important to understand that this honorary recognition does not entitle the veteran to have the Air Assault Badge added to his official military personnel record.
Eligibility for the honorary award of the Air Assault Badge is based upon satisfaction of ALL the following criteria:
- Assigned or attached to a combat unit in the 101st Airborne Division, 101st Air
Cavalry Division, 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile) or 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam during the period from 1965 through 1972; AND
- Served in direct combat in a Combat Arms duty MOS (Infantry, Combat Medic, Cavalry, Engineers, Field Artillery) with the 101st Airborne or 1st CAV in Vietnam;
OR was a Combat Support MOS assigned to a 101st or 1st CAV combat unit in Vietnam. This does NOT exclude Aviators and Helicopter Crew Chiefs, Door Gunners, Flight Medics Etc.; AND
- Awarded the CIB, CMB, Air Medal, ARCOM with V, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Silver Star, Distinguished Service Cross or Medal of Honor OR Conducted 25 or more Combat Helicopter Assaults or a lesser number of “hot” LZs; AND
- Graduated from Infantry AIT, NCOCC, OCS, IOBC, 101st SERTS, CLC or RECONDO during the period of the Vietnam War; or unit On the Job Training (OJT): AND
- Provided a copy of Form DD-214 (social security number blocked out)
The 101st Airborne Division Association is aiding the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) by providing this important information to our members and by administratively collecting and delivering properly completed applications to the 101st Airborne Division’s award approving officials. Applications for this year MUST BE RECEIVED BY 1 MAY 2021 to be considered. Contact the Association at (931) 431-0199 for questions or assistance.